Reynold Martens, Executive Vice President, Geo. H. Young & Co. Ltd. will be one of the featured speakers at the 18th Annual I.E. Canada Conference being held from April 20-22, 2009 in Toronto, Ontario. The theme of the three-day conference is “Emerging Issues in Customs and Trade Compliance.”
Martens’ presentation will discuss the preparation and review process necessary to ensure a successful outcome to a CBSA audit. Some of the areas that will be covered include:
• Self-adjustments and voluntary disclosures
• What constitutes “reason to believe”?
• Multiple versus single program verifications
• A step by step review of how the audit will be performed
• Priorities and trends in customs audits
• Common operations challenges importers face
• Common problems in areas such as H.S. Classification, origin
• Declaration, valuation of goods, SIMA/embargoed goods, duties relief
• Administrative monetary penalties (AMPS)
• Disputing a decision
“Going through a customs audit can be a disruptive and stressful experience. So don’t be caught unprepared!” warns Martens, adding that, “Knowing what to expect and doing your homework can save your company a substantial amount of money.”
Registration details and additional information about the conference can be found here.