Saturday, September 27, 2008

Prox Lane Can Suddenly Change to All-Traffic

(Doug Millroy — Sault Star)

On July 30, 2007, a press release from the International Bridge administration quoted General Manager Phil Becker as saying, in regard to the newly instituted Prox Card, which was designed to speed up traffic and make things easier for customers:

“Customers pass the new card within six inches of a card-reader device installed in the two dedicated automated lanes: the northbound and southbound lanes. The toll is automatically deducted from their accounts, a gate rises, and drivers are on their way.

“The staffed booths will accept Prox Cards, but these will be processed by a toll attendant, similar to the regular IQ Card. IBA staff will remind customers without Prox Cards to note the signs designating the lanes dedicated exclusively to Prox Card use.”

When Becker talked about dedicated automated lanes for Prox Card holders, I took this to be full-time and purchased one. I learned last week, much to my chagrin, that this is not the case. A lane can be changed from being dedicated to Prox Card holders to all traffic within the blink of an eye.

As a result, a transport truck and I ended up heading for the same toll booth. I suppose you could say I won, since I got there first, but I am also out a $500 insurance deductible to repair my rear right door and rear right fender.

Peter Petainen, finance officer with the International Bridge Authority, told me the Prox Card lanes are no longer dedicated 100 per cent of the time.

“We try to keep them open to the maximum extent possible but now we have variable message signs on the top of the canopy,” he said. “When we have a big influx of cash customers the on-duty shift supervisor has the ability to go to all-cash lanes if necessary.”

He said there are nearly always two Prox lanes for northbound travellers but southbound there is only a Prox lane “between 80 and 90 per cent of the time.” Read more here.